Thursday 27 November 2014

Brain Damage, Part 4 - It may never happen

More from Brain Damage here, now - a round-up of Kevin Woodcock's numerous contributions over the issues. Kevin Woodcock as in the Leicester-based cartoonist, who did a ton of stuff for Private Eye, Punch, The Oldie, Knave, Fiesta and so on, right up until his death in 2007, at the age of 64. There's a lot of that sense of "not-quite-right" about his cartoons, certainly - disquieting surreality and all that. I'm trying to sound like an "art critic" here, and it's not working, but I like what I like and I like these a lot.


More below!

















Like what you see? New to Woodcock? There's LOADS of his stuff available in "book" form - search your favourite book shop/online retailer for such titles as City Rules OK, You Are Here, Private Eye Cartoon Library: Kevin Woodcock, The Penguin Book of Private Eye Cartoons, and probably/possibly Private Eye: A Cartoon History - there's over a thousand cartoons in that thing, apparently, so you'd expect Woodcock to have at least a couple of dozen in there.

3 comments:

  1. What a great blog post about one of my favourite titles.

    I've just scanned all of my issues of this series too! I can't seem to find any of the last issues from volume 3 though. They are tough buggers to find as I never bought them back when they came out. I do have all of the first 2 volumes, The Great Big 1990 Annual,Spring Annual and Xmas special.

    Feel free to contact me if you are missing any

    gypsumfantastic23 at gmail dot com

    Will we ever find out who Lucian was and if he ever did any other work? I'd love to see more of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the commenting!

      I had no idea there was a Spring Annual, whoops - something else to look for, in addition to the few from the first volume I "need".

      If it's any help, there were only four issues in the fourth volume before it "transformed" into Elephant Parts (which will be "covered" about four posts from now). Whoever Lucian is/was, they're a bloody genius - the next post is "all about" him, it was hard to cherry pick his stuff so I just scanned the whole lot of them!

      Delete
  2. I have a few doubles, not the Spring Annual though, let me know what you need and I'll go and see which ones I have if you want them.

    ReplyDelete